Adult Protection

Adult Protection and Vulnerable Adult Investigations

Adult Protection strives to improve the quality of life for Crow Wing County’s most vulnerable citizens. These individuals are unable to protect themselves or provide for their own physical, emotional, or mental needs due to age other impairing conditions. Adult Protection Services focus on safety and well-being but also works towards reducing neglect, abuse, or exploitation of vulnerable adults through outreach and education. Vulnerable adult investigations are completed in conjunction with the Crow Wing County Attorney’s Office, Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Department, and state licensing through Social Services.

The Common Entry Point (CEP) is available 24 hours per day to receive reports of vulnerable adult maltreatment. The CEP assesses these reports and sends them to the appropriate lead investigative agency (County, Law Enforcement, Office of Health and Facility Complaints or the Department of Human Services).


Anyone can make a report concerning the safety of a vulnerable adult. To make a vulnerable adult report, please call the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) at 1-844-880-1574. MAARC will provide the report information to Crow Wing County Adult Protection for those situations in which Crow Wing County is the lead investigative agency. If the vulnerable adult is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.

If you are a mandated reporter, you may use the online reporting tool at Report Adult Abuse.

The more information the better. All reports are reviewed even if there is missing information.

  • The name and address of the vulnerable adult
  • The name and address of the person causing the maltreatment
  • The date and time of the alleged maltreatment
  • Details of what happened, when, where and how
  • Is the vulnerable adult still at risk
  • Is there witnesses or other people in the home

 A Vulnerable Adult is any person, 18 years of age or older who:

  • Has a physical, mental or emotional disorder that makes it difficult for the person to care for themselves without help and to protect themselves from maltreatment.
  • Is in a hospital, nursing home, transitional care unit, assisted living, housing with services, board and care, foster care or other licensed care facility.
  • Receives services such as home care, day services, personal care assistance or other licensed services.

 For more information go to Adult Protection

The Role of Crow Wing County Adult Protective Services:

  • Investigate allegations of maltreatment
  • Report allegation findings to DHS Background Studies Unit
  • Attempt to provide protection to the vulnerable adult while still being person centered and allowed the adult to make their own decisions (when abled)
  • Provide training and presentations on vulnerable adult and maltreatment issues
  • Adult Protection Priorities and Timelines
  • Adult Protection Glossary Terms

Additional Resources
Resources for Elderly and Disabled Adults

Center for Excellence in Supported Decision Making

Minnesota Senior Services and Resources | Senior LinkAge Line

Disability Hub MN

Minnesota Elder Justice Center

Guardianship Information Line (952) 945-4174 or Toll Free: (844) 333-1748

Minnesota Judicial Branch

MAARC card